Rehabilitation in Israel
Israel’s leading approach allows children and adults, its citizens and foreign citizens, and people from the widest range of social and financial backgrounds to benefit equally from its worldwide renowned advanced high technology and medicine. Due to the tragically frequent terror incidents in the region Israeli medicine was forced into the lead in the field of rehabilitation, having to provide one on one treatment to overcome victims’ physical and psychological minor and major injuries from the beginning and on a continual basis, something that it is very proud of. Advanced recovery treatment for spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries and strokes is available to patients from anywhere in the world as a result of the experience and knowledge incurred.
Reuth – Rebuilding Lives
The non-profit organisation Reuth founded its leading rehabilitation centre in 1961 in Tel Aviv. Being the only centre of its kind for years in Israel, the centre was originally founded for chronically ill patients.
Nowadays, treating around 1500 patients a year Reuth has grown into a forefront modern medical and rehabilitation centre with 350 beds. Reuth is JCI accredited and is one of Tel Aviv University’s medical school’s basic clinics. Being actively involved in clinical trial testing Israel’s latest inventions in rehabilitation, it not only continues to professionally care for and treat the chronically ill but also treats patients in need of rehabilitation during recovery from a variety of illnesses and injury. Reuth’s respiratory department for long-term mechanical ventilation is Israel’s oldest and largest. In a department designed to accommodate adults and children alike, Reuth’s specialised department for the treatment of patients who require long-term ventilation due to chronic lung disease and progressive neuromuscular diseases (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, etc.) is unique.
Key areas of rehabilitation at Reuth
- Neurologic (after stroke, brain injury, neurosurgery, or for patients who are comatose and/or in vegetative states)
- Spinal (after operations and injuries of the spine and spinal cord)
- Orthopedic (after fractures or amputation, joint replacement operations, including prosthetics; after burns)
And other areas
- Treatment and professional care for patients requiring long-term mechanical ventilation
- Professional care for chronic patients of all ages
- Treatment of chronic ulcers after surgery
- Treatment of wounds of different etiologies
- Treatment of chronic pain
- Recovery of impaired sexual function
Reuth’s extensive recovery program includes both physiological and cognitive rehabilitation.
Fundamentally aiming to achieve independence and functionality the rehabilitation process itself is long, focusing on significantly improving quality of life, and maximising and optimising damaged motor, speech and cognitive functions.
Reuth’s medical experts include:
- Physicians specializing in rehabilitation
- Experts in the fields of neurology, orthopedics, geriatrics, respiratory medicine
- Nursing staff specifically trained in rehabilitation and geriatric care
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Pet therapists
- Experts in alternative medicine (acupuncture, shiatsu, yoga, etc.)
- Social workers